Thursday, April 2, 2015

Determined

I'm really pissed off right now. Like seriously upset. This isn't the first time either. Since last May I've been doing everything I can to prepare for this trip and it often feels like I've come up against barrier after barrier after barrier. In May a lot of it was learning how to ride a higher-end bicycle with clipless pedals and cycling cleats. In June I got lost coming back from Carlisle and suffered a minor knee injury. For a good long while I was dealing with popped tires. In December I got stitches. Then I got hit by a car. Then I had to put up with weeks on end of freezing temperatures and snow. The latest thing that's got me down and upset is trying to install these stupid tire liners to minimize my flats on the trip. What would have taken 20 or 30 minutes for a more skilled mechanic has stretched into 2 days for me. My hands are sore. I worry that I may have damaged my tires. Although unrelated to the tire liners, the handlebar mount for my cell phone has a broken piece of plastic now. After straining and struggling I have 2 (possibly damaged) tires back on the rims and NOW they aren't inflating. I think it's a problem with the connection between the pump and the valve on my tubes.

Don't worry. I'm not giving up. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Honestly, that's a remarkable thing. If you know me, you'll know how easily I get discouraged and just quit trying. I just want to make it clear that this is not easy. Honestly, I think the easiest part of this whole entire thing will be riding from Delaware to California. You see, once I get on my bicycle everything gets a whole lot simpler and easier to manage. And also, I want you to know that *nothing* that's happened in the past year would be considered a trip-stopper. Not getting lost or injuring my knee or cutting my forehead open or getting hit by a car. None of those would put an end to the trip. At worst, they'd extend things by a few days. I hope none of those happen on the road but if they do it won't be the end. Just wanted to let you know; I'm determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment