Monday, June 9, 2014

What I Did This Week

Here's a list of what I did this past week to prepare:

1. I had a tutorial on clipless-pedal bikes from a cycling friend.

2. I arranged for 100 paper brochures to be printed from Minuteman Press on Carlisle St. to aid me in my fundraising ventures.

3. I practiced riding around town on Sunday then rode out of town on Carlisle Rd. (altogether about 10 miles, I think)

4. Contacted REI about corporate sponsorship but was turned down on the basis of health/medical issues not being one of their areas of focus.

5. Contacted Liberty University's Alumni Relations Office but the management was out. Will follow up on Thursday if I haven't heard anything from them.

6. Had my picture taken by York Daily Record for a story they will be releasing shortly.

7. Rode from Hanover, PA to Manchester, MD and back for a total of about 22 miles.

8. I bought candy for fundraising and gloves and sunglasses for riding.

I know what you're thinking! Booooooooriiiiiiinnnnnngggggg! Life isn't always glamorous. I'm still learning to enjoy the mundane aspects of life. There are many of them and they can be wonderful beyond words! For instance, feeling the sunshine and wind on my face as I rode downhill just past the Maryland state border? Inexpressibly wonderful! This trip isn't about getting to San Francisco as much as it is about enjoying riding across the US and seeing people's lives changed as research funding and awareness of ALS are raised. And that's what is great about a bicycle! It keeps things moving slowly enough that very few simple pleasures are missed along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment